Nature of learning delivery
Coaching to students to prepare for competitive entrance examinations for post graduation in Economics at leading academic institutions namely Delhi School of Economics, JNU, ISI, etc. Plan to extend coaching services for UPSC - Civil Services Examination.
In the words of Ecopoint
When we started our coaching services in 2009-10, we initially started with virtual classrooms; however we faced many problems like: many students were unable to attend virtual classrooms regularly due to mismatch in timings; or they needed different lecture timings and some even needed flexible timings. The teaching cost per students was continuing to be high and did not reduce much...
When we started our coaching services in 2009-10, we initially started with virtual classrooms; however,
- Many students were unable to attend virtual classrooms regularly due to mismatch in timings.
- They needed different lecture timings and some even needed flexible timings.
- To do that we needed to take multiple sessions of the same virtual class, so many more teachers were required or the same teachers had to work overtime.
- Number of students in every batch were not large since students had multiple batch time options to choose from.
- The teaching cost per students was continuing to be high and did not reduce much
- It did not reduce the teaching hours / load of a teacher in any case.
- The lectures being delivered were actually being repeated with hardly any variations.
- Though we could overcome distance problem, but could not overcome timing and scalability problems.
As we gathered momentum, we realized that:
- We had no way of managing the enrollment process. With students from across country wishing to access our services, we did not know what to do.
- Giving assignments and practice exercises to our students and tracking responses from students over email was a nightmare. When one of our teachers went on vacation, our system collapsed. Besides, the need to conduct mock online assessments necessitated signing up on an Assessment Portal. But how to link our classroom to the assessment service? And link our students’ payments to these service deliveries?
- We had no way of tracking the relevant data of our service business.
We were introduced to Quampus, a comprehensive solution, unlike anything we had seen before:
- We thought of recording our lectures delivered through Virtual Classrooms, as a onetime activity and students had the choice to listen to them at any time of the day or night. With this, we could solve at least multiple batch problem and faculty load problems, while at the same time reducing the cost of online lecture delivery significantly. This helped us reduce our fees to attract even larger number of price sensitive students, as a result we now have more time to focus on research, quality improvement and marketing and we use our best teachers to record lectures. We do use virtual classroom though, in a limited way, for doubt clearing sessions or for discussion purposes.
- Quampus allows us to manage our content and lets us use any type of content. We started with simple pdfs and moved to audio-visual complex stuff. Quampus takes all. We are planning to create sophisticated content for our premium services using advanced authoring tools. Quampus accepts those also.
- Quampus allows us to use the courses and their contents repeatedly in any number of online learning programs. What a saving of time and efforts!
- Quampus lets us publish our e-learning programs to accept enrollments over the web. We could reach the whole of the country in no time.
- We also did private programs for some of our customers without anybody (specifically our competitors) coming to know.
- It even collects our payments on-line and credits to us. But most important, Quampus can allow payment collection off-line also. This was a big plus.
- We use the Assignment and Assessment part of it for our classroom (real) students.
- We even use it to manage our virtual classrooms - informing students about the planned schedule, confirmed schedules, cancellations etc. Our students access the virtual classroom through Quampus.
- Our students ask teachers questions any time they feel like.
- The recorded lecture part is a big hit, with us and with our students. In fact some of our students use them for hours. Since a large part of our students belong to small towns and they find the quality of our content and lecture to be very high standard which are not available locally, they make the best use of it.
- All these are available at extremely affordable prices. Quampus brags about ‘pay when you use’. What we realized is that they actually mean it. We find it great on our profitability. What more to ask!!!
- We have done quite a good amount of market study before we used Quampus. They satisfied almost all of our requirements; others that we studied do not come even near.
After tasting success with Quampus, we plan to migrate to the independent 'e-learning only' mode. We have batches in the 'e-learning only' mode as well as blended batches wherein the classroom students access specific services of ours in the 'e-learning' mode. The enrollments in MA Preparation courses have risen from 40 students in the first year to close to 450 enrollments in the current session. In future we expect our market to be over 1000 enrollments or more every year. We can now focus fully on student acquisition and better content and pedagogy development because of Quampus which offers:
- Excellent support.
- Coming out with features much earlier than we even thought about them.
- Excellent performance of the system at all times.
- A great bunch of people who listen to you and solve your problems.
- Above all, peace of mind.
Ecopoint could increase its learner base by more than 100 times during a period of four years by using Quampus while expanding the reach to the entire country without facing customer service issues and technology scalability problems.
Strategic achievements with Quampus
- Less time to market resulting in enhanced productivity.
- Cost effectiveness resulting in increased competitiveness and higher profitability.
- Fewer complexities in handling operation in higher scale.